Contructivist/Constructionist Learning Theories and Technologies

According to Constructionist theory, optimal learning takes place when a student creates an artifact that can be shared with others. The basis for Constructivist theories, on the other hand is that individuals actively construct their own meaning of things (Laureate Education Inc. n.d.).  The important point both theories make is that the learner is an active creator of something that is their own. A project-based learning (PBL) environment is one where these two similar theories of learning come to life.

In this week’s learning resources at Walden University, I explored a higher-order instructional strategy known as generating and testing hypotheses. For students in a PBL environment, this will be a key skill students will need to possess since inquiry is such a critical component of PBL (Orey, 2012), and therefore, Constructionist learning. Any science teacher understands that inquiry is intimately connected to hypothesis formulation and experiments designed to test them.

Pitler et al (2012) describes several instructional technologies conducive to Constructionist theories and hypothesis generation and testing including premade spreadsheets, data collection probes, and web-based interactives. All of these strategies allow students to experiment in controlled environments and test the validity of their hypotheses. Spreadsheets allow students to manipulate large amounts of data and make predictions based on the data (Pitler et al, 2012, p. 208). Probes can obviously be used to gather data quickly, safely, and efficiently and allow students to easily verify or refute a given hypotheses. Similarly, web-based interactives, including one of my favorites, explore learning gizmos, allow students to run physics and chemistry simulations to test their conjectures as well (Pitler et al, 2012, p. 219).  Needless to say, such technologies fit into a PBL environment nicely.

Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Constructionist and constructivist learning theories [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://epltt.coe.uga.edu/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E. R., & Kuhn, M. (2012). Using technology with classroom instruction that works (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

5 thoughts on “Contructivist/Constructionist Learning Theories and Technologies

1. Constructionism is a learning theory that requires students to learn more independently and construct learning ideas on their own. Being interactive with learning and technology will allow students to explore their learning and develop their own thoughts about the information. Teaching students to learn independently will promote good learning behaviors such as generating and testing hypotheses. Independent learning will foster deeper understanding for students and create motivation for students to continue their learning.

2. Tom,

I had never heard of Explore Learning’s gizmos.

I just watched the plant growth demo and think this is a crazy-good resource. I bet your kids LOVE it, am I right?

I will share this website with my science teachers on Monday. Thanks for bringing it up!
    Lydia

• Lydia,

When I taught science, they certainly did. I haven’t used the Gizmos since then, but they are great learning tools and certainly conducive to inquiry based learning.

3. Tom,
    When students are able to construct a project or activity to demonstrate their understanding of a content, learning becomes more effective. This is because they are able to discover new information on their own which will enhance their level of thinking, learning and boost their self esteem. This requires a higher level of thinking and organization.

Alicia Bernard

• Alicia,
      Learning something for oneself can indeed be inspiring. My students are usually amazed when this happens as if they didn’t know they had it in them. Perhaps too many years of direct instruction can leave this impression…

Tom