Stepping up my GAME

It has been two weeks since I established my GAME plan. In my original plan, I decided to devote one hour at least biweekly researching and noting digital tools I can use to upgrade some of my lessons. Each month, I plan on using one of the tools I studied to revamp an entire lesson. Therefore, if all goes according to my GAME plan, I will have twelve new, technology-rich lessons to share with my students.

This week, I continued my exploration of Geogebra, a popular mathematics application. I commented in one of the discussion posts that I was particularly excited with the way this technology handled vectors; so impressed in fact, that I have decided to add this technology to my AP calculus lesson on vectors for next year. It can certainly help my students to see the actual vectors (position, velocity, and acceleration) after we have used calculus to derive them.

In response to the questions this week, I had no problem finding information and resources concerning Geogebra. Although I downloaded the user’s manual, I have found the online tutorials that exist all over the internet much easier to follow.

The only modification I will make to my GAME plan is to intensify my research. Rather than explore a new technology biweekly, I will attempt to do this at least once a week. I believe my original plan on modifying one lesson a month, however, remains a realistic goal; therefore, I will not be altering my strategy for this portion of my GAME plan.

As I explore Geogebra, new questions abound. For instance, how could I use it in my geometry classes? There are of course a number of features in the application that are applicable toward geometry as well. Also, what is another technology to explore after I have researched the limits of Geogebra? For this question, I reach out to my colleagues since this is where I heard of Geogebra in the first place.

4 thoughts on “Stepping up my GAME

1. Tom,

I have used Geogebra to help facilitate my students’ learning a handful of times. Specifically, I have used this software application with my freshman geometry students in teaching them about line reflections and rotations. Geogebra gives my students the opportunity to create points and then perform various translations and rotations. Since Rigid Transformations is such a visual concept for students to learn and understand, I have found that this software application has enhanced my students learning. Furthermore, I have used Geogebra in reviewing different geometry terms with my students such as perpendicular and parallel lines and perpendicular and angle bisectors. I have noticed that as my students have used this application to illustrate these definitions that they are more likely to remember the meanings of these words (Geogebra, 2015).

In addition to Geogebra, I suggest that you try Geometer’s Sketchpad. Similar to Geogebra, Geometer’s Sketchpad gives your students visual representations of important geometry terms and concepts. In my own classroom, I have used Geometer’s Sketchpad to develop the meanings to concepts such as the incenter and median of a triangle (The Geometer’s Sketchpad, 2014).

References
    Geogebra. (2015). Geogebra. Retrieved March 26, 2015, from https://www.geogebra.org/
    The Geometer’s Sketchpad. (2014). The Geometer’s Sketchpad. Retrieved March 25, 2015 from http://www.dynamicgeometry.com/

• Thank you for your insights into Geogebra, Irene. I made note of the applications to transformations you mentioned in my spreadsheet. This could be another one of those lessons I infuse with technology in the future.

I have heard lots of good things about sketchpad as well, although the cost has always been what has prevented us from acquiring it for student use in our district. Do you use it primarily for instruction, or do your students use Sketchpad as well?

Tom

2. I am impressed that your only modification to your original plan is to step up the intensity. It would seem that you definitely set a realistic goal from the outset.

It is also great that this research has informed your teaching of your AP calculus class. It is always rewarding to find uses for lesson aides or technologies in other areas than the ones that were originally planned. Good luck for the rest of the way!

Trevor

• Thanks, Trevor. It is nice when a technology pans out and exceeds expectations. I still think that a good portion of the technology related to math instruction is simply not realistic to use in class or is too expensive for a district such as mine to acquire.