Monitoring my A(ctions)

In this week’s post, I will be discussing the progress I have made thus far in the implementation of my GAME plan. This week, I used a conference hour, as per GAME plan, to explore a potentially useful digital tool known as Geogebra. I got the idea to explore this technology from our most recent teacher inservice although I had previously heard good reviews. I downloaded the app on my Ipad and played around with some of the features for around an hour. Having just completed a lesson on vector calculus, I was dismayed to find that I could have really used this app to display all of the important vectors (position, velocity, and acceleration) precisely during my lesson! Following my exploration, I immediately logged Geogebra into my spreadsheet of potential technologies and noted its potential use during this lesson next year. There were many other features of this app that had promise as well, so I will likely spend some additional time with this tool.

To continue with my game plan, I will read the tutorial on Geogebra built into the application in order to learn how to use it properly. I may also seek out some online tutorials since I often learn better from them than from reading alone. Unfortunately, while a colleague introduced this tool to me, she herself had not really done much more than toy around with it either. Perhaps some of my fellow math teachers reading this blog have used it before and could offer some tips?

2 thoughts on “Monitoring my A(ctions)

1. Hi Tom,
    Thank you for taking the time to post an update on your GAME plan. I have heard of Geogebra before and we actually have it on our school computers. I have yet to take a look at it. So far do you like how it works and would you consider it user friendly. None of my colleagues have used it before either, so it will be interesting to see what your thought are about it.
    On another note, I have actually stumbled across this really great Math blog created by a High School Math teacher in Oklahoma. She has posted some really interesting tools and resources that you might be able to use along the way. http://mathequalslove.blogspot.com/
    Krysten

• Hi Krysten,

Sorry about the late reply, but I just saw your post from last week. I would say that Geogebra is pretty user friendly and you can learn about most of the features just by toying around with it. There are lots of online tutorials available for using the advanced features. Thanks for the resource on the blog. Although I have not looked at it yet, I added it to my tech spreadsheet for future reference.

Tom